Running Brockwell Park, Herne Hill today on my capital challange has almost come full circle on itself, located just over 1 mile away from where I started my first Greater London parkrun at Dulwich park back on the 25th June 2016 and now so close in finishing this adventure, what a coincidence.
This hilly but beautiful park with commanding views of the surrounding London skyline just simply takes your breath away! I could not think of a better place to relax in this busy city than Brockwell in all it’s summer splendour, I am one lucky man!!
The course starts at the Lido and consists of 2 anticlockwise laps of the outside parameter of Brockwell park, with the 2nd loop slightly shorter than the first! The surface is run entirely on well-kept tarmac paths that in most parts give you plenty of room to overtake!
Points of interest
- Unlike the first lap the second instantly starts off with a sharp climb that leads up onto Brockwell Park Row and the highest part of the course!
- The main climb is loaded near the start of each lap, thereafter in the most part the rest of the course is a steady decline back down to the start/finish
- This is a very popular parkrun with a bit of a bottleneck at the start, so they recommend you start in the field of runners where you think you are going to finish at the end of the run!
For the record this is a beautiful challenging course that if you pace yourself correctly on the uphill section a lot of time can easily be made up on the rest of this parkrun!!
Not happy with my personal performance as I simply just walked up the hill section, so reflected in a time of 35:15
Free street parking is available just outside the park along Dulwich Road Sat Nav SE24 0PA. In terms of toilet facilities Brockwell Lido kindly let me use theirs before the start of the run and there is also a public toilet inside the park!
For a post run coffee there are two cafe’s serving this park, one attached to the Lido and I decided to try out Brockwell Park Cafe that is base inside the historical grade 2 listed building Brockwell Hall
Facilities also included
- Brockwell lido boosts a 50M outdoor swimming pool, gym facilities and cafe
- A miniature Railway
- Brockwell Hall
- Events held in the park includes the very popular Lambeth Country Show
I would like to personally thank Paul and his team of volunteers for making me feel extremely welcome today, well done guys!
So if you are up for a challenge running around this beautiful South London park then Brockwell is definitely right for you and with a top community feel, what more can I say!!
Really looking forward to the Keech trail 10K charity race tomorrow running through the lovely countryside that is so close to my home at Stopsley, Luton!
I would like to thank Claire and everyone at Dunstable Road Runners lettering me help marshal in this event, greatly appreciated guys:)
Next week: Beckenham Place